tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 27 05:32:35 2006

Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for 2006/10/23

In a message dated 10/26/2006 1:46:08 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> >      DIlbot: {taj qaDuQ.} (3)
> >     Dilbert: "I'd jab you with a used needle."
> >

> This means "I stab you. A knife" In other words,
> the word "knife" has no grammatical connection to
> the verb.  The only way we know to show instrumental
> clauses is by the phrase {taj lo'taHvIS} (conjugated
> for the proper subject, of course). I'd also add
> the adjective {lam} 'dirty', since what makes a used
> needle so undesirable is that it is contaminated.
> {taj lam vIlo'taHvIS loQ qaDuQ} I qualified the verb
> with "a little" because a jab is not a full stab,
> IMHO.

It might too much of a stretch, but you could say a "shiny knife" {taj boch}
or even a "shiny kut'luch" {qutluch boch}, i.e., a used one, alluding to the
following proverb:

The used kut'luch is always shiny. = reH boch qutluch lo'lu'bogh. (TKW p. 103)

Back to archive top level