tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 21 23:13:54 2006

Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon 2006/10/20

De'vID ([email protected])

pm5 wrote:
> Greetings Warriors:
>
> Here are my translations to the dialogues in [Dilbert comic for
> October 20][1].  Corrections and advises are appreciated.
>
>       mInDI: {vay' maja'chuq vIneH.} (1)
>       Mindy: "I want to discuss the..."

This seems rather uncharacteristic for a Klingon.  A Klingon would just
begin the discussion without this unnecessary verbiage.

>      DIlbot: {toH! bIjatlh 'e' yImev.} (2)
>     Dilbert: "Whoa! Stop."
>
>      DIlbot: {leSSov vIghaj qa'vIn law' vItlhutlhmo'.  mu'tlheghmey
> wIja'bogh vISovta'.} (3)
>     Dilbert: "Large doses of caffeine allow me to see the future.  I
> already know what both of us will say."
>
>       mInDI: {taQqu' SoH.} (4)
>       Mindy: "You're a freak."

<<bItaQqu'>>, qar'a'?

>      DIlbot: {...} (5)
>     Dilbert: "And then I say, 'and then I say...'"
>
> (5) contains no words because following the Object-Verb-Subject
> grammar, a Klingon must first seek out the last sentence he'll say.
> This recursion is endless so the Klingon falls to dead silent.

I think that the verb <<jatlh>> works by apposition, so you could
translate the above with something like: <<vaj jIjatlh, vaj jIjatlh>>.

--
De'vID

Back to archive top level