tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 20 05:42:02 2006

Re: Klingon D and Arabic Daad

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Rabbi Cashman:
>I started studying Arabic last month, and was told that Arabic is the
>only language with the sound produced by the letter Daad,

I believe that's fairly accurate. Although the numerous varieties of Arabic
realise the sound in different ways, the prototypical "daad" is actually a
combination of a normal "d" and raising of the body of the tongue to the
hard palate or the root of the tongue to the pharyngeal wall; the technical
term is "velarised" or "pharyngealised" - or possibly even both. The sound
in Klingon doesn't include the latter component, and I can't think of any
language (other than other Semitic languages, such as Ge'ez) that has the
sound.

>I immediately thought of the Klingon D

Klingon /D/ is more like the retroflex or "cerebral" /d/ found in numerous
Indian and Australian languages.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Thousands of jobs, millions of opportunities at seek.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=757263760&_r=Hotmail_EndText_Oct06&_m=EXT