tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 20 04:52:40 2006

Re: Klingon D and Arabic Daad

In a message dated 10/19/2006 12:08:28 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> Greetings:
>        Is there someone with expertise in Arabic as well as Klingon out
> there, Inshallah?
>

>        I started studying Arabic last month, and was told that Arabic is the
> only language with the sound produced by the letter Daad, described in our
> book as  produced by placing our tongue against the bony ridge just behind
> the teeth, before the upward curve of the mouth.
>
>        I immediately thought of the Klingon D, which TKD says "can best be
> approximated by English speakers by touching the tip of the tongue to the
> roof of the mouth at a point about halfway between the teeth and the velum."
>

>       Our book came with a DVD, and the pronunciation of this Daad sounds
> like the D on CK and the sound on the KLI website.
>
>        Are they the same?
>

>        Thanks for what ever help you can furnish.
>

> Rabbi Don Cashman

Although the two sounds are similar, the Arabic Daad is an emphatic
consonant, meaning the muscles of the tongue are tense and the throat cavity is
slightly narrowed when the sound is articulated, whereas the Klingon {D} is not
emphatic.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level