tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 10 20:37:57 2006

Re: transitivity

ja' Voragh:

>    jIghung je
>    I am also hungry. PK
>
> {je} applies to the verb:  hungry in addition to thirsty
>
>    jI'oj je
>    I am also thirsty. PK
>
> {je} applies to the verb:  thirsty in addition to hungry

If you're quoting the prisoner/guard joke, you are definitely mistaken.

Prisoner:  "I am hungry."  Guard:  "I too am hungry."

{je} applies to the subject here.  There is no room for doubt.

>    notlh veS... 'a tugh manotlhchoH je maH.
>    War is obsolete... as we are in danger of becoming. ST6
>
> {je} apparently applies to the verb, though it's not obvious from the
> English.

I believe you are again mistaken.  The meaning of the Klingon is
clear:  "...soon we too become obsolete."

> Note how moving {je} changes the meaning of the Klingon slightly:
>
>    {manotlhchoH je maH} "we will become obsolete also" (in addition to
> being humiliated?)

I'm pretty sure this is yet another example of your misunderstanding
how {je} works when used following a verb.  I read it as TKD explains
it:  "We (along with another or others) also [will] become obsolete."

>    {manotlhchoH maH je} "we also will become obsolete" (we in
> addition to someone else?)

Where did you find an example of this second phrasing?  When used to
mean "also", {je} follows the verb.  I can't think of anywhere we've
seen it following a single noun (or pronoun).

To apply the "in addition" idea to a verb, we must use the *verb*
conjunction {'ej}.

> So you see no difference between {jIghung je} "I'm also thirsty, I'm
> thirsty too" (which are ambiguous in English) and {jIghung
> jIH je} "I, too, am thirsty" other than the emphasized pronoun?

I see a real difference between them -- the first one has the meaning
you assign to the second, and the second one is not an attested
phrasing in Klingon.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level