tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 11 10:13:37 2006

Re: transitivity

De'vID ([email protected])

[email protected]:

De'vID:

Terrence Donnelly <[email protected]>:
>>> That would have to be {Suv Lisa 'ej Dan}.

pm5:
>> When {je} follows a verb it means "also" [TKD p.55]:
>>
>>       The noun conjunction {je} has an additional function: when it
>>     follows a verb, it means <also, too.>
>>
>>         {qaleghpu' je} <I also saw you, I saw you too>
>>
>> So there are two sentences
>>
>>     {Suv Lisa, Dan je.} "Lisa fights, (and she) also occupies."

ghunchu'wI':
> I think the examples we have of this use of {je} apply the 'also'
> idea to either the subject or the object of the sentence, not to the
> verb.  To get the meaning you want requires the verb conjunction
> {'ej}, as ter'eS suggested.

I had no idea my little joke would spawn such an interesting discussion!

<Suv Lisa; Dan je> could still mean "Lisa fights; she also (i.e., along
with others) occupies".  Anyway, the point of my joke was that one
should be very careful when using human names that happen to sound like
Klingon words when around Klingons.

If <je> is attached to the verb but applies to either the object or
subject, is there a way to distinguish the following meanings other than
context?

<targh Sop je Lisa> "Lisa eats targ (and also pipyus claw)" or
                     "Lisa (in addition to Dan) eats targ"

--
De'vID

Back to archive top level