tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 10 07:28:04 2006

Re: transitivity

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> >> That would have to be {Suv Lisa 'ej Dan}.

pm5:
> > When {je} follows a verb it means "also" [TKD p.55]:
> >
> >   The noun conjunction {je} has an additional function: when it
> >   follows a verb, it means <also, too.>
> >
> >    {qaleghpu' je} <I also saw you, I saw you too>

The rest of the citation:

   As in English, the meaning of such sentences is ambiguous: "I and
   others saw you" or "I saw you and others". The exact meaning is
   determined by context. (TKD 55)

> > So there are two sentences
> >
> >   {Suv Lisa, Dan je.} "Lisa fights, (and she) also occupies."

ghunchu'wI':
>I think the examples we have of this use of {je} apply the 'also'
>idea to either the subject or the object of the sentence, not to the
>verb.  To get the meaning you want requires the verb conjunction
>{'ej}, as ter'eS suggested.

Yes and no.  More examples of {je} with verbs:

   Dargh vIqem je
   I'll bring tea also. CK

{je} applies to the object:  tea in addition to the food

   jIghung je
   I am also hungry. PK

{je} applies to the verb:  hungry in addition to thirsty

   jI'oj je
   I am also thirsty. PK

{je} applies to the verb:  thirsty in addition to hungry

   pInaDqu' tuqlIj wInaDqu' je
   Glory to you and your house
  ("We praise you highly; we also praise your house highly") KGT

{je} applies to the object:  your House in addition to you

   notlh veS... 'a tugh manotlhchoH je maH.
   War is obsolete... as we are in danger of becoming. ST6

{je} apparently applies to the verb, though it's not obvious from the
English.  Note how moving {je} changes the meaning of the Klingon slightly:

   {manotlhchoH je maH} "we will become obsolete also" (in addition to
being humiliated?)

   {manotlhchoH maH je} "we also will become obsolete" (we in addition to
someone else?)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons