tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 10 09:24:11 2006

RE: transitivity

DloraH ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

>    jIghung je
>    I am also hungry. PK
>
> {je} applies to the verb:  hungry in addition to thirsty
>
>    jI'oj je
>    I am also thirsty. PK
>
> {je} applies to the verb:  thirsty in addition to hungry

I take the joke as <je> applying to the subject.  "I am hungry/thirsty also,
in addition to you."  He was replying to the prisoner saying he was
hungry/thirsty.
I don't think the first sentence is hungry in addition to thirsty because at
the time it is spoken the guard did not know that the prisoner was going to
mention anything about being thirsty.

DloraH

Back to archive top level