tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 19 06:33:49 2006

Re: HUGs and Poking. KLBC

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

--- Shane MiQogh <[email protected]> wrote:

> Wouldn't the "captain told me to bite him" be:
> vIchop jatlh HoD.

No, when I said there are no indirect quotes, I
meant that the quote has to be rendered _exactly_
as the original speaker said it. In English,
indirect quotes change the person of the subject
and object of the phrase.  When I say the Captain
told "me to bite him", what he actually said at the
time was "you bite me", and that's what your
quoted phrase must say: {HIchop}. Your phrase
above first of all isn't the imperative (command)
form of the verb, and has the captain saying only
"I (i.e. the captain) bite (something)".

>   maybe -'egh should be there somewhere, but if it
> is, i'm not sure where...

You'd only need {-'egh} if someone was being ordered
to bite themselves.

> Terrence Donnelly <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>   As for quotes, there are no indirect quotes in
> Klingon, so you just state the quoted words as
> if they were being spoken for the first time:
> {mura' HoD. jatlh. HIchop!} "The captain ordered
> me to bite him." Since {jatlh} is the only
> Klingon verb of speaking and it doesn't take
> a direct object, the quotation is really a
> collection of independent sentences, literally
> "The captain ordered me. He spoke. Bite me!"

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level