tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 18 19:51:48 2006

Re: HUGs and Poking. KLBC

ja' Shane MiQogh:

> How would some one go to say "Poke" instead of "touch"?

I'd say {volchaHwIjDaq SIqta' ghaH} "She has used her index finger at
my shoulder."  Perhaps add {pe'vIl} "forcefully" at the beginning, if
you want to imply a sharp poke rather than a more gentle tap.

Using a {-Daq} on a finger verb is uncommon, but I think the more
usual phrasing of {...volchaHwIj SIq...} "...use the index finger on
my shoulder..." seems as likely to refer to pointing as it does poking.

> ... What we don't have a word for we just say the english version
> like "Hug vIneH!"?

If the specific action is that important and you can't come up with a
straightforward translation, then a macaronic {*hug* vIpoQ} or even
{HI*hug*} among friends would probably work.  I'd be more likely to
tell someone {vI'uchlu' vIneH} "I want to be held" or {HIqat} "wrap/
encase me", though.

> What if we wanted to say "Cat" instead of just animal, do we just
> say "cat"?

In this specific case, a {vIghro'} is a cat-like animal (we've heard
Klingons on TV refer to a "grishnar cat" and a "tika cat" in certain
contexts).

> And quotes...
>   Would it be proper to say: "I love you", mujatlhpu'.

It would be more proper to follow the example of quoted speech in TKD
and use the verb {ja'} instead of {jatlh}.  The quote can come either
before or after the verb of saying:

   muja'pu' "I love you"
       or
   "I love you" muja'pu'