tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 02 02:36:29 2006

Re: Klingon WOTD: Hur'Iq (noun)

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Shane MiQogh, ja':
>During this game it appears a new Klingon cussword was introduced,
>but weather or not one would choose to recognize it is up to you,
>but it's official story wise.

As I'm sure you know by now, we don't usually pay a whole lot of attention
to what Paramount calls "Klingon", because Paramount doesn't usually pay a
whole lot of attention to the Klingon language Okrand designed for them. The
terms "Paramount Hol" and {Holqoq} "so-called language" have been synonymous
for some time.

(That being said, sometimes they *do* get it right, and when they do, it's
normally a matter for some excitement on the list. There were one or two
episodes of "Enterprise" that had passable Klingon in them - the sentence
{vImuHlu' net wuqHa'} springs immediately to mind.)

>it sounds like "teqtaH" which could also be a literal meaning, but
>worf said it in surprise.

"He is taking it off"? No, I don't think it would be meant to be interpreted
literally.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Research and compare new cars side by side at carpoint.com.au
http://secure-au.imrworldwide.com/cgi-bin/a/ci_450304/et_2/cg_801459/pi_1004813/ai_833884