tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 02 12:43:28 2006

Re: Klingon WOTD: Hur'Iq (noun)

Shane MiQogh ([email protected])

QeS 'utlh <[email protected]> wrote:  ghItlhpu' Shane MiQogh, ja':
>During this game it appears a new Klingon cussword was introduced,
>but weather or not one would choose to recognize it is up to you,
>but it's official story wise.

As I'm sure you know by now, we don't usually pay a whole lot of attention
to what Paramount calls "Klingon", because Paramount doesn't usually pay a
whole lot of attention to the Klingon language Okrand designed for them. The
terms "Paramount Hol" and {Holqoq} "so-called language" have been synonymous
for some time.

(That being said, sometimes they *do* get it right, and when they do, it's
normally a matter for some excitement on the list. There were one or two
episodes of "Enterprise" that had passable Klingon in them - the sentence
{vImuHlu' net wuqHa'} springs immediately to mind.)

Hur'q could be considered as an undocumented synonym. It is not only "spelled wrong" but is "pronounced wrong" as well. It's a matter of weather we want to consider it official or not, 9 times out of 10, we won't but i thought i'd propose anyway.

  A little more irony to add to this, Kahless supposedly forged a sword out of his hair or something like that (the story of kahless i got was kinda jumbled and incomplete), but coincidentally, Hur'q ships are made of Hur'q exoskeleton.