tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 11 10:22:06 2006

RE: walk two miles

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
>>Using {cha' qelI'qam} as the object of {vIleng} might work only if Klingons
>>see it as referring to an unnamed place or point two kellicams away, not as
>>a two kellicam stretch of distance.  Something similar to English "I
>>travelled
>>the two miles" (i.e. the previously mentioned distance to my previously
>>mentioned
>>destination) perhaps?
>>
>> >and Okrand used {leng} as an example in HolQeD 12/1998:
>> >  yuQDaq jIleng
>> >  I roam (around/about) on the planet. (HQ [12/1998])

QeS:
> >> Hmmm... so paralleling this, what about
> >>  ??{cha' qelI'qamDaq jIleng}
> >>    "I travel on two kellicams"?

Voragh:
>>More likely something like "I travelled (with)in the two
>>kellicam area" (e.g. a two kellicam wide neutral zone along a border)
>>  -- if it means anything at all.

DloraH:
>When I do it, if I'm refering to the destination I'm getting to I use:
>   cha' qelI'qam vIleng
>   "I traveled to a point 2 kelicams away."
>If I'm refering to the journey itself, the adventure of getting there, I
>use:
>   cha' qelI'qamDaq jIleng
>   "I traveled along a length of 2 kelicams."

Just like:

   'Iw bIQtIqDaq bIlengjaj
   May you travel the River of Blood! PK

   'Iw bIQtIqDaq jIjaH
   I travel the River of Blood (TNG "The Icarus Factor") TKW

That is, along the River of Blood - a metaphor for a warrior's bloody life
journey - not just splashing about or crossing to the other side of the
river.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons