tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 11 09:54:03 2006

RE: transitivity

DloraH ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

> >And what do you do about
> > {yIn} "to live"? Judging
> > from what Okrand has said in previous interviews,
> > {yIn} is underlyingly
> > bivalent, although in practice the "object" of the
> > action is hardly ever
> > expressed. It could be argued that any non-stative
> > verb in Klingon is
> > theoretically able to take an object (including such
> > fundamental
> > "intransitives" as {Qong} and {yIt}).
> >

> I don't follow this.  When did Okrand say that {yIn}
> is bivalent?  Why do you say that any non-stative can
> take an object? For that matter, why do you call
> {Qong}
> a non-stative?

He signed my KGT [tlhIngan yIn DayIn].  I don't remember now what he said
afterwards, but I remember taking it as a hint that this was not completely
grammatical but /could/ be said.

DloraH

Back to archive top level