tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 06 12:49:58 2006

Re: Pronunciation sources

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Quvar:

Florian wrote:
>There is still some discrepancies between Okrand's instructions, which seem
>pretty tame compared to some performances by Gowron (such as {bIreQtagh}, or
>glottal stop which Okrand basicully instructs to read as stops). A matter of
>accent I guess...

If you're interested in hearing "authentic" speech, listen to Christopher
Lloyd (Kruge) and John LaRoquette (Maltz) in "STIII: The Search for Spock"
as well as Spice Williams (Vixis) and Todd Bryant (Klaa) in "STV: The Final
Frontier".  These actors were also trained by Okrand personally during the
filming of the movies and their Klingon is pretty good, all things
considered.  (In fact, Bryant was so enthusiastic a student of Klingon that
he returned to play the unnamed, and barely seen, interpreter in "STVI: The
Undiscovered Country" as an inside joke IIRC.)  These will provide you with
some variation in acceptable "genuine" accents.  Since we don't have access
to real Klingons, this will have to do.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons