tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 03 08:19:45 2004

Re: lut tlhegh

ngabwI' ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "Regina Reusser" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, October 03, 2004 2:47 AM
Subject: Re: lut tlhegh

> ngabwI':
>> So if your intended meaning above was something like "Just wait, as
> opposed
>> to going to look for him, or killing me", then your usage is off.

Senara:
> And how would I have to say this?

This is an excellent question. There is no "one, true way" to do this in
Klingon. It requires a recast, and as such is heavily dependent on context.

In the case of the story, I would probably drop the {neH} altogether. It's
not important to the story.

{juHlIjDaq yIchegh, 'ej yIloS} "Return to your home and wait."
{juHlIjDaq yIchegh, 'ej yIloS neH} "Return to your home, and just wait."

The two meanings, to me, are so close that the differences are
inconsequential.

This is how *I* would handle it, at any rate.

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian
Klingon Language Institute
http://kli.org