tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 02 16:19:17 2004

Re: lut tlhegh

ngabwI' ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "Regina Reusser" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Saturday, October 02, 2004 12:27 PM
Subject: Re: lut tlhegh

{Dajqu'choHlaw' lutmaj. jIQuch. 'ach wa'logh bIQaghbej, 'ej wa'logh
bIQaghlaw'}
This is turning into a cool little story. Awesome! But I found one definite
mistake, and one "maybe mistake".

> maDachtaHvIS juHDaq ratlh 'e' vIra', 'ach qachvo' ghoSta'law'.

Suffix order: {ghoSlaw'ta'}, not {ghoSta'law'}

> juHlIj yIchegh 'ej yIloS neH."

Maybe a mistake, not sure. {neH}, when used on verbs, *only* trivializes the
verb's action.
When used on a noun, it indicates that that noun, and nothing else, is
involved.

{SoHvaD jI'agh}:
{puq vIqIp neH} means "I only hit the child" (It's not like it was a big
deal)
It doesn't mean "I only hit the child" (And nothing more, I didn't do
anything else)

and {puq neH vIqIp} means "I hit the only the child" (I didn't hit something
else.)

So if your intended meaning above was something like "Just wait, as opposed
to going to look for him, or killing me", then your usage is off.

If you meant "Just wait, it won't be long, you'll see." then this is
correct.

FWIW, I read the second meaning.

'ej tugh lutmaj vItaHmoH. 'ach qaSbogh wanI'mey vIwIvnIS. (wej cha' targh
HoH puq, qar'a'?) }}; )

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian
Klingon Language Institute