tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 03 14:44:14 2004

Re: just use it! (Re: jIb

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' ghunchu'wI':
>TKD demonstrates direct quotes with the word {qaja'}.

jIjangpu':
>Completely correct. Remember that in this case the syntactic "direct
>object" the prefix refers to is semantically a benefactive or dative object
>(what would usually be given in a fuller sentence as {X-vaD}), not a
>semantic direct object.

ghel Quvar:
>Maybe MO once again misused a verb? {qaja'} is a literal (!) translation of
>"I told you".

Yep, I suspect that the prefix trick is another way of MO saving
{Sa'HutDaj}. {{:)

>This makes more sense to me than
>{qajatlh} "I spoke you" or "I say you"

I can't think of a single instance where {qajatlh} with a true direct object
would be possible, unless you're singing some sort of children's alphabet
song or something: along the lines of "Letter A, I say you; Letter B, I sing
you; Letter C, I shout you..."

>PS: jIlugh vIneHbe'. jIghel neH.

bIlughlaw'.

QeS lagh