tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 27 05:58:46 2004

Re: *nuqDaqvo'

In a message dated 2004-07-27 8:35:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> > If TKD didn't explicitly state that {nuqDaq} is {nuq} plus the type 5
>
> I don't know.
>
> > noun suffix {-Daq}, I would have no trouble accepting it as a compound
> > noun, capable of taking any other suffixes.
>
> --> i.e. cf. e.g. etc. QongDaqDaq
>
> Quvar

I'm not sure what your point is, but that's the example I was thinking of
too.

If {nuqDaq} were a noun without a suffix, then adding {-vo'} would present no
problem, just as {QongDaqDaq} presents no problem.  But {QongDaq} and
{nuqDaq} are not comparable.  {QongDaq} is a noun (apparently a compound noun with
the second element meaning 'site, location') and {nuqDaq} is the question word
(noun?) {nuq} plus the type 5 noun suffix {-Daq}.

It seems like a lot of people want {nuqDaqvo'} to be correct.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level