tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 26 14:02:42 2004

Re: nuqvo'

From: "Steven Boozer" <[email protected]>

> Note this explanation in TKD:
>
>    It is worth noting at this point that the concepts expressed by the
English
>    adverbs "here", "there", and "everywhere" are expressed by nouns in
Klingon:
>    {naDev} "hereabouts", {pa'} "thereabouts", {Dat} "everywhere". These
words
>    may perhaps be translated more literally as "area around here," "area
over
>    there," and "all places," respectively. Unlike other nouns, these three
> words
>    are never followed by the locative suffix [i.e. {-Daq}].  (TKD 27f)
>
> ... but they *can* be followed by {-vo'}:
>
>    naDevvo' yIghoS
>    Go away! TKD
>
>    naDevvo' jIleghlaHchu'be'
>    I can't see well from here. CK
>
>    naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH'a'
>    Can we get to the Great Hall from here? CK
>
>    pa'vo' yIjaH
>    Leave the room! ("Go from the room!") TKD
>
>    pa'vo' pagh leghlu'
>    The room has no view. CK

The last two do not apply: this is {pa'} "room," not {pa'} "thereabouts."
These are two different words.

Note that there is an example of the locative suffix on a locative noun in
Conversational Klingon: {pa'Daq}.  I don't remember the full sentence (it
might be {pa'Daq qaS nuq} "What's happening over there?"), but I remember
that it is clear that it is a violation of TKD's rule, using {pa'} as
"thereabouts."

SuStel
Stardate 4569.1

Back to archive top level