tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 26 12:19:53 2004

Re: nuqvo'

lay'SIv wrote:

>For a previous mention of {nuqvo'} (in quotes, so it's not a normal usage):
>/tlhIngan-Hol/1993/July/msg00144.html
>I haven't found the message that it seems to refer to, though.

Here's my take on the ?{nuqDaqvo'} question, if anyone's interested...

Note this explanation in TKD:

   It is worth noting at this point that the concepts expressed by the English
   adverbs "here", "there", and "everywhere" are expressed by nouns in Klingon:
   {naDev} "hereabouts", {pa'} "thereabouts", {Dat} "everywhere". These words
   may perhaps be translated more literally as "area around here," "area over
   there," and "all places," respectively. Unlike other nouns, these three
words
   are never followed by the locative suffix [i.e. {-Daq}].  (TKD 27f)

... but they *can* be followed by {-vo'}:

   naDevvo' yIghoS
   Go away! TKD

   naDevvo' jIleghlaHchu'be'
   I can't see well from here. CK

   naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH'a'
   Can we get to the Great Hall from here? CK

   pa'vo' yIjaH
   Leave the room! ("Go from the room!") TKD

   pa'vo' pagh leghlu'
   The room has no view. CK

It *may* be that we can add {nuqDaq} to the three TKD examples.  In
summary:  AFAIK {nuqDaq} has never been used with any suffixes.  Although I
would never expect to see *{nuqDaqDaq} "whereat" (?), I wouldn't be at all
surprised to see ?{nuqDaqvo'} "wherefrom, from where".  The fact that we
haven't seen this form so far may well be a coincidence or, as we used to
say when I worked on a dictionary project for the ancient Levantine dialect
of Ugarit, an "accident" of the canon.  (I.e. a particular subject just
isn't discussed in the surviving texts for whatever reason.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level