tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 26 13:14:59 2004

Re: Anyone know these people?

Christian Einfeldt ([email protected])

On Sunday 25 July 2004 20:34, Alan Anderson wrote:
> ja' qurgh:
> >I found this news article...
> > http://www.sltrib.com/nationworld/ci_2379272 and I
> >was wondering if the orginal police report was true or are they
> > just pulling our legs?
>
> So far as I can tell, the original police report was true, but it
> didn't say what the News of the Weird piece implies it said.  The
> first press report was in the Decenber 2, 1998 _Wichita Eagle_,
> and only said that the parents spoke with their children in
> Klingon.  The Trek-ness of the story was exaggerated in the
> retelling when it was first picked up by News of the Weird
> shortly thereafter, gaining "many Star Trek posters and
> magazines" and "parents and kids were speaking fluent Klingon."
> The suspicious phrase "seven of nine cats" also found its way
> into the tale at that time.
>
> It seems that News of the Weird is again inflating the
> "weirdness" by stating that they spoke Klingon exclusively.

The issue here is public acceptance.  It seems as though the
(inacurate)  public image of Klingonists is that they are cultish
types with pastey skin tucked away in some basement somewhere
practicing strange language rites with their children.

Exposure will help reverse that image.  And OpenOffice.org (OOo)
will help you proliferate the Klingon language by permitting people
to share Klingon language documents, produce posters in Klingon,
etc.  If OOo gets ported to Klingon, you can bet that you will get
press.

Qo'loS (aka Christian Einfeldt)

Back to archive top level