tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 25 03:40:49 2004

Re: tera'Daq yIn'a' 'ej pIv'a' tlhIngan Hol?

Lieven L. Litaer ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

Am Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:25:36 -0700 (PDT) hat ...Paul <[email protected]>
geschrieben:

> I read/heard recently, in terms of total size of the lexicon, English is
> #1 with about 1.5 MILLION words.

Only few (non-english-speaking) people know that. The reason for that is
the fact that english has been influence by both germanic and romanic
languages.

> think it was French).  Klingon is not much different than French, really;
> I refer you to the various articles about how the French government has
> been trying to crack down on the phrases "e-mail" (officially, it's
> "courrier electronique")

In french canada, this has been abbreviated to "courriel", in france some
people write "imél"

> English has always been a much more "embrace & extend" kind of thing.

iIn english, it's easy to get new words. One can virtually take a latin
word, and it's english (for instance, most english words ending on -tion
are definitely english, in German those words are called foreign words.)

Blahblah... This is all very interesting, but as jI'qel pointed out: It's
no use talking about that.

If you want to "play the game" with us, you need to follow the "rules":

a) Klingon is an artificial language made by one person who writes the
words down which we can use.

(like Java-programming is also a language, but it won't work if every
programmer uses his own words.)

or

b) Klingon is an alien language that we only learn bit by bit.

Just think about that: if we really had contact with an alien race, we
wouldn't just go ahead and make up words.

Quvar.

Back to archive top level