tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 22 05:29:20 2004

Re: be' neH neHbe' be'

ngabwI' ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lieven L. Litaer" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 6:18 PM
Subject: be' neH neHbe' be'

> Just thinking...
> Is there a difference:

Barely, but with the examples given, it's not a very important difference.

>    vIvemmoH vIneHbe'

"I do not want to cause her to wake up"

>    vIvemmoHbe' vIneH

"I want to not cause her to wake up."

As taD has pointed out, I, too, see this as a distinction mostly on what is
negated.
In the first, you don't *want* to wake her, in the second, it seems that you
probably still want her awake, you simply want no hand in it. (Kinda. The
two sentences are so close in meaning, I think this explanation probably
overstates the differences.)

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian
Klingon Language Institute