tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 17 23:18:26 2004

Re: canon pIqaD

Dar'Qang ([email protected])

At 09:59 PM 7/17/2004, DloraH wrote:
>In TKD section 1.1:
>"Those few Klingons who pronounce {b} as {m} would say Klingon {baH} <fire (a
>torpedo)> and {maH} <we> the same way, and have to memorize which word is
>spelled which way."

DaH! bIval!

>This tells me that the system of writing tells the reader how a word is
>pronounced.
>Writing systems like hieroglyphics, etc does not tell the reader how to
>pronounce the words.  Such a system would require that we memorize each word
>anyways.

I think that even if Klingons have some other system for writing sentences,
their penchant for accuracy means that they would have some method for
definitively recording the names of places and people.  The KLI pIqaD
system seems as straightforward as anything else for that at least.

An argument could be made that the need for recording names of places
(battles) and people (allies, enemies, lineages)  would be what caused
Klingons to started writing.  And then perhaps other symbols added as the
writing system expanded.  I could even envision a hodge-podge, where
{SuvwI'} might have it's own symbol, but {taghwI'} would have to be
spelled-out.

Dar'Qang
qo''a'lIj DachenmoHtaH

Back to archive top level