tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 17 21:59:50 2004

Re: jIH/SoH in comparatives

Dar'Qang ([email protected])

At 02:10 PM 7/12/2004, Voragh wrote:

>Now, you can certainly modify the noun in the A and B slot with a verb,
>either with {-vIS} in this old, and somewhat anomalous example (lacking as
>it does {taH}):
>
>    QamvIS Hegh qaq law' torvIS yIn qaq puS
>    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees. ST6
>    "death while standing is preferable to life while kneeling"

Even if the {taH} is replaced, this seems to imply something new to me:

QamtaHvIS Hegh

This appears to be an "oblique"-vIS analogous to the "oblique"-meH used to
modify nouns.   Is this a general rule, or does it fall under the rubric of
"ancient" language (marked by the absence of {taH})?

i.e, can I do:

?{jaHtaHvIS Soj} = "fast food"

can other type-9  suffixes be used in this way?

?{taghDI' joqwI'} = "start flag" (as in a race)

Dar'Qang
qo''a'lIj DachenmoHtaH

Back to archive top level