tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 15 08:49:30 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: ngoD (n)

Voragh:
> >[...] but {ngoDHom} "factoid (?)" appeared in the "Star Trek Communicator"
> >special Klingon issue (#104 [1995]) as a section heading:
> >
> >    Hov leng ngoDHommey
> >    Trekbits
> >
> >in the sense of "trivia," for which *{Dochmey ram} is often used on this
> >List.

SuStel:
>Is it?  By whom?  I sure wish the archive search worked.

Glen Proechel and his disciples, among others.  This dates it to the very
early years of the List, I know, and I admit to not having seen it used
much recently.

>I certainly don't see {ngoDHom} and {Dochmey ram} as meaning the same thing.

{ngoDHom} "factoid" (?) vs. {Dochmey ram} "trivial things"

IIRC the "Trekbits" section of Paramount's official fan magazine published
little known facts, events and gossip about the production end of Trek and
its actors.  (I.e. a "Did you know...?" type of article for fans to quiz
each other with.)  If you have a copy of STC #104, you might look at what
was actually discussed in that special Klingon issue {tlhIngan jabbI'ID le'}.

If I were asked to come up with a word for "trivia", I might have chosen
*{ramwI'mey}, from {ram} "be trivial, be trifling, be unimportant, be
insignificant".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons