tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 15 10:41:33 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: ngoD (n)

>From: Steven Boozer <[email protected]>
>{ngoDHom} "factoid" (?) vs. {Dochmey ram} "trivial things"
>
>IIRC the "Trekbits" section of Paramount's official fan magazine published
>little known facts, events and gossip about the production end of Trek and
>its actors.  (I.e. a "Did you know...?" type of article for fans to quiz
>each other with.)  If you have a copy of STC #104, you might look at what
>was actually discussed in that special Klingon issue {tlhIngan jabbI'ID
>le'}.
>
>If I were asked to come up with a word for "trivia", I might have chosen
>*{ramwI'mey}, from {ram} "be trivial, be trifling, be unimportant, be
>insignificant".

But "trivia" and "trivial things" are not necessarily the same.  A thing may
be "trivial" without being "trivia."  {veS'e' ram wa' puq 'ach ngoDHom
ghaHbe'.}  "In warfare, one child is trivial, but he is not trivia."

Star Trek Communicator is a paper magazine, isn't it?  Did Okrand use the
word {jabbI'ID} for that, or is that your use of the word?

SuStel
Stardate 4538.6

Get fast, reliable Internet access with MSN 9 Dial-up ? now 2 months FREE!