tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 03 22:19:19 2004

Re: models of excellent language use

ja' "captain kalaa" <[email protected]>:
> I have been upset very recently about my perception of
> personal attack and criticism by members of this list
> toward other members.

DaSujlu' 'e' vIyajlaH. HubwI' pum HIvwI' wa'DIch; jatlh <HIHIvQo'.> jIH
muSuj je ghu'.

The problem of perception is a real one. I don't read minds, but I suspect
the person who initiated the attacks is convinced of his own innocence, and
those who haven't read the exchanges in Klingon are likely not to have the
information they need in order to understand the situation fully. All
participants share responsibility for the length of the battle, but I fear
that the majority of nonfluent lurkers are going to come away from this with
a badly skewed interpretation of what really happened.

> I have therefore deleted most
> posts except those I find particularly germane to the
> discussion of tlhingan-hol.

Do'Ha'qu' wIvlIj. tlhIngan Hol lo'qu'bogh QIn DabuSqangbe'law'. tlhIngan Hol
qelbogh neH QIn DamaS'a'?  'ebvam Dun yIjon.

That is most unfortunate.  You are choosing to ignore a very valuable
resource: actual Klingon discussion.  Discussion *of* Klingon language is
perfectly legitimate here, but useful discussion of anything beyond what The
Klingon Dictionary says is exceedingly rare.  Discussion *in* Klingon
language is of enormous value for those who wish to learn to speak the
language.

> I am a student of the
> language, but unfortunately, I have very little time
> to spend studying it...

vaj poHlIj ngaj yIlI'qu'moH.  Hoch tlhIngan Hol QIn yIlaD.  yImugh.  yIyaj.
Hoch DalaDmo', nom bIghojbej.  pagh DalaDchugh, laHlIj DaDublaHbe'bej.
DaDub'egh DaneHbe'chugh, HoS lI' Dalo'Ha'chu'.  poHlIj DawoD.  poHmaj'e'
DawoD.

If you want to make the most of your limited time, spend it reading and
translating the Klingon messages.  I do not believe any other strategy will
increase your skill with the language.  And if your goal is not to improve,
I submit that *any* amount of time you spend will be wasted.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level