tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 22 11:04:45 2004

Re: DCKL translation problems: {rup}

Quvar wrote:
> >>{rup} defined as "fine, tax"
>
>Voragh:
> >for "tax collector, publican".)  Similar verbs include {ghaq} "contribute"
> >and {nob} give".
>
>opposite verb, you mean.

It depends on whether you approve of your government's spending programs or
not. <g>  One left-wing US politician recently claimed that he actually
*enjoyed* paying taxes, because he approved of the "progressive" social
programs the money would go to.  (I don't think that anybody believed him,
though!)

>    {DurupDI' qum vaj yIDIl!}
>Is this the "correct" use, or do we just not know (because "fine, tax" is
>too vague)?

We don't know.  As I said, {rup} has never been used by Okrand.

> >There is no known noun, but you might be able to use {van} "tribute" or
>
>isn't van a "tribute" in the sense of an award, not a payment?

In this case, you're probably right as the noun {van} is glossed as
"salute, tribute".  But in English "tribute" can also means money and
valuables that those in power demand of those under their authority.  E.g.
When a warlord seizes power, he demands tribute; when he starts calling
himself a king and the demands for tribute become regular and predictable,
he call them "taxes".  <g>

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons