tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 21 10:27:50 2004

Re: DCKL translation problems: {rup}

Quvar asks:
> >>{rup} defined as "fine, tax"
>
> >It looks like the common idea is a payment demanded by a group with power.
> >I'd accept "dues" and "tariffs" as fitting the concept too.
>
>Yes, I think so too. [thinking is not enough, I need the proof! ;-)]
>but is it a verb or a noun?

It's a verb.  (FYI: the KLI's Klingon Language Bible Project used *{rupwI'}
for "tax collector, publican". )  Similar verbs include {ghaq} "contribute"
and {nob} give".

There is no known noun, but you might be able to use {van} "tribute" or
{nob} "gift" ironically, or just simply say {Huch} "money".  E.g.:

   murup qum; Huch law' vIDIlnIS!
   The government taxed me and I had to pay a lot of money.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level