tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 20 13:16:07 2004

Re: DCKL translation problems: {yoj}

Quvar wrote:
>yoj n. judgement.
>
>yeah, again I found more than ten definitions in Webster's, plus the same
>number of translations in
>Langenscheidt's. And I cannot guess from any StarTrek... or maybe we
>can?  Is there any canon?

Never used by Okrand AFAIK, though "Judgment" was the title of an
ENTERPRISE episode last season where Captain Archer was tried by the
Klingons for "crimes against the Klingon Empire".  He was, of course,
convicted and sent to Rura Penthe.

Some related vocabulary:

verbs:  {noH} "judge, estimate" and {'oD} "arbitrate, mediate"

nouns:  {bo'DIj} "court [of law]", {meqba'} [a type of Klingon legal
proceeding], {ghIpDIj} "court martial", {ruv} justice, {teblaw'}
"jurisdiction" and {'oDwI'} "arbitrator, arbiter"

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level