tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 20 10:06:33 2004

Re: DCKL translation problems: {'Im}

Teresh000 ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

ghItlh ghunchu'wI':

> My reading is that {'Im} has an implied *object* of {tlhagh}.  The subject
> would be the {vutwI'}.  I would translate "boiling fat" as {tlhagh
> 'Imlu'bogh}.
>
> On second thought, actually, I wouldn't.  "Rendering" is a process by which
> one obtains fat from animal parts.  It isn't done to fat; it *produces*
> purified fat.  The definitions and descriptions of the Klingon verb {'Im}
> are somewhat inconsistent.  I'll probably understand the intent however it
> gets used, but I myself would use {pubtaHbogh tlhagh} to
> describe the stuff
> in which {tlhombuS} is prepared.

The description of the recipe clearly shows that the {tlhagh} is
coated (or encased) in the {ngat} + {tIr} substance, and then
the whole is immersed in a vat of boiling oil, for only a few
seconds, till the coating hardens. I don't think the {tlhagh} is
supposed to boil, or even melt very much.

On the other hand, one may have put a different block of {tlhagh}
in the {'un} beforehand and brought that to a boil in order
to deep-fry your {tlhombuS} (actually, hot fat doesn't boil
unless you put something containing moisture into it, like a
french fry or a {tlhombuS}.

An aside: this sounds disgusting at first, but when you stop
and think about it, it isn't much different from a deep-fried
cheese stick.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level