tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 20 07:15:51 2004

Re: DCKL translation problems: {'Im}

Lieven L. Litaer (Quvar) ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

Am 20.01.2004 00:19:20, schrieb Alan Anderson <[email protected]>:

>On second thought, actually, I wouldn't.  "Rendering" is a process by which
>one obtains fat from animal parts.  It isn't done to fat; it *produces*
>purified fat.  The definitions and descriptions of the Klingon verb {'Im}
>are somewhat inconsistent.  I'll probably understand the intent however it
>gets used, but I myself would use {pubtaHbogh tlhagh} to describe the stuff
>in which {tlhombuS} is prepared.

I try to stick to Marc Okrand's text as possible, so on KGT p. 93 It says "This involves first acquiring
{tlhagh} ("animal fat") from any available source and then heating it up so that it boils (the general
word for "boil is {pub}, but the verb used specifically to refer to the boiling of fat is {'Im} ["render"])"

I understand:
    ... so that IT boils [...] ... boiling of fat is {'Im}

Unfortunately, I don't have my KGT here with me now, but as far as I remember, MO only uses the
intransitive "boiling": "water is boiling" [German students tend to confuse this, because in german
"cook" and "boil" are one word ;-)]

just a question, why is that word "render" in square brackets?

I haven't found a serious explanation for this related to cooking, only what
HomDoq suggested:

> "(Fett) auslassen"
> I guess the technical term is derived from the cooking term
> or vice versa

I don't see how this is related to cooking... :-(
If we can't find a "perfect" solution due to lack of information, I will add it to the *untranslatable list*
:-) and continue with the other words in question.

Quvar.

Back to archive top level