tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 19 17:30:50 2004

Re: DCKL translation problems: {'Im}

ja' Quvar:
> vaj 'oHvaD {'Imbogh tlhagh} ponglu', qar'a'?

qarbe' 'e' vIQub jIH.

My reading is that {'Im} has an implied *object* of {tlhagh}.  The subject
would be the {vutwI'}.  I would translate "boiling fat" as {tlhagh
'Imlu'bogh}.

On second thought, actually, I wouldn't.  "Rendering" is a process by which
one obtains fat from animal parts.  It isn't done to fat; it *produces*
purified fat.  The definitions and descriptions of the Klingon verb {'Im}
are somewhat inconsistent.  I'll probably understand the intent however it
gets used, but I myself would use {pubtaHbogh tlhagh} to describe the stuff
in which {tlhombuS} is prepared.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level