tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 18 13:18:36 2004

Re: DCKL translation problems: {'Im}

d'Armond Speers, Ph.D. ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

Lieven L. Litaer (Quvar) wrote:
> {'Im} "render, boil fat"
>
> Okay, I have found "to render fat", this is described as "auslassen",
> a technical term describing extracting fat from some engine.
>> From Webster's I understand that this can also be applied to
>     "extract fat, oil, or wax by melting (as in boiling water, steam,
> benzine)"
>
> Is this {'Im} somehow related to cooking??

Yes.

KGT 231 KE, 236 EK, 254 EK

KGT p. 93.  If heat is used as part of food preparation, the cook is most
likely to {mIQ} ("deep-fry") the food.  This involves first acquiring
{tlhagh} ("animal fat") from any available source and then heating it up so
that it boils (the general word for "boil is {pub}, but the verb used
specifically to refer to the boiling of fat is {'Im} ["render"]).  After it
has been boiling for a while, the food to be fried is tossed in (sometimes
having been coated in some kind of paste), and it stays there until it has
soaked up as much of the {tlhagh} ("fat") as possible.  A particularly
popular dish, {tlhombuS}, requires that the cook coat a block of {tlhagh}
with a mixture of {ngat} ("herbed granulated cartilage") and {tIr} ("grain")
and then briefly immerse the block into the already boiling fat, just until
the coating hardens.

> And what would be good german word for that?

jIjanglaHbe'.

> Quvar.

-- Holtej

Back to archive top level