tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 05 15:19:22 2004

Re: Does {teb} appear anywhere in canon?

>taD> So it looks like {teb} is used as:
>taD>   {HIvje' teb jabwI'} "The waiter fills the glass"
>taD> and probably not:
>taD>   {HIvje' teb taS} "The liquid solution fills the glass"
>
>voragh> Instead, reverse the sentence and use {ngaS} "contain (have
>voragh> inside), fill":
>voragh>    taS ngaS HIvje'
>voragh>   "The glass contains a solution"

marqoS:
>A very good idea.  Especially with availability of {-choH[-moH]}, those
>words should be able to handle any of several ways of looking at the
>situation.

For the intransitive or qualitative sense of "be full" that I was thinking
of, I forgot that we also have {buy'} "be full, be filled up":

   buy' ngop
   The plates are full. KGT

   buy'qu' ngop
   The plates are very full. KGT

   buy'law' ngop
   The plates are apparently full. KGT

IIRC how you say "the plates are full of/filled with X" was not
addressed.  Perhaps this is a place to use one of those two-clause
translations Okrand is so fond of:

   buy' ngop; X ngaS.
   The plates are full; they contain (lit. "it contains") X.

Another example without the complicating inherently plural {ngop}:

   buy' HIvje'; 'Iw HIq ngaS.
   The glass is full; it contains bloodwine.
   The glass is full of bloodwine.
   The glass is filled with bloodwine.

--
Voragh