tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 05 11:22:03 2004

Re: Does {teb} appear anywhere in canon?

>marqoS wrote:
>> > I'm trying to determine there is any evidence as to whether the
>> > subject of {teb} is the agent or the substance.

AFAIK we only have two examples.

taD:
>In the Power Klingon audio tape, we have the phrase:
>
>   "Fill a large glass!"
>   {HIvje' tIn yIteb}

The other is in the Frasier speech:

   lenglIj lutebjaj lengwIjvaD bel rap, Sov [rap, ngoQ rap je] Danobpu'bogh
   May your journey be filled with the same joy, wisdom, and purpose you have
   given mine.

>So it looks like {teb} is used as:
>   {HIvje' teb jabwI'} "The waiter fills the glass"

Agreed.

>and probably not:
>   {HIvje' teb taS} "The liquid solution fills the glass"

Agreed.  There's no evidence from canon for this intransitive use of
{teb}.  Instead, reverse the sentence and use {ngaS} "contain (have
inside), fill":

   jagh lucharghlu'ta'bogh HuH ghopDu'lIj lungaSjaj!
   May the bile of the vanquished fill your hands! PK

   bIQ ngaS HIvje'
   The cup contains water (idiom: be quite mistaken, be totally wrong") KGT

   bIQ ngaS HIvje'lIj
   Your cup contains water (i.e. "You're all wrong"). KGT

   yoq yIn yuQ 'oH Qo'noS'e'. yInSIp voQSIp je ngaS muDDaj.
   Qo'noS is a class-M planet with an oxygen/nitrogen atmosphere. S27

So, to rewrite taD's example:

   taS ngaS HIvje'
   "The glass contains a solution"

--