tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 01 20:59:38 2004

Re: Kolos

From: "Christian Einfeldt" <[email protected]>
> Another experienced Klingonist suggested that the best spelling would
> be qo'loS.  I am too much a beginner to decide if qo'loS or qoloS
> would be preferable.  I am very much receptive to suggestions!

/qo'loS/ has a cut-off of sound where the /'/ is.  This is the same cut-off
of sound in the middle of the expression "uh-oh."  /qo'loS/ would have a
cut-off in the middle as well, which I don't say when I say "Kolos."  I
don't say "Ko-los."

/S/ sounds like "sh" to most English speakers.  Standard Klingon doesn't
have an "s" sound (though some dialects may -- the dialect of the planet
Morska uses a /ts/ instead of /tlh/ as the final consonant of a word).

If you want to standardize your name, my suggestion is qoloS.  It's as close
to Kolos as you're going to get in standard Klingon.  On the other hand, if
you want to keep your name sounding regional, possibly low-class, or perhaps
one that was considered standard during the time of your Kolos character (we
do not have this information), you can just continue to use Kolos, or maybe
qolos -- but be prepared for people not realizing this and telling you you
need to capitalize the "s."

SuStel
Stardate 4003.0

Back to archive top level