tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 01 22:29:39 2004

Re: Kolos

Christian Einfeldt ([email protected])

On Thursday 01 January 2004 19:05, David Trimboli wrote:
> From: "Christian Einfeldt" <[email protected]>
>
> > Another experienced Klingonist suggested that the best spelling
> > would be qo'loS.  I am too much a beginner to decide if qo'loS or
> > qoloS would be preferable.  I am very much receptive to
> > suggestions!
>
> /qo'loS/ has a cut-off of sound where the /'/ is.  This is the same
> cut-off of sound in the middle of the expression "uh-oh."  /qo'loS/
> would have a cut-off in the middle as well, which I don't say when I
> say "Kolos."  I don't say "Ko-los."

I must agree that I say Kolos, rather than Ko-los, and I seem to recall
that the Klingon criminal defense attorney by the same name also
pronounced it Kolos rather than Ko-los.

Also, I see by a google search that on 12/15/00 Holtej offered "qoloS"
as the WOTD, which is some strong evidence of the way that Dr.
Okrand's informant would pronounce the name.  Here's the link:

In the mean time, I am leaning toward qoloS.  However, I am also going
to sit back and wait to see if any other experienced Klingonists have
an opinion about this that they want to offer.

My thanks to you all for your insight.

qoloS

> /S/ sounds like "sh" to most English speakers.  Standard Klingon
> doesn't have an "s" sound (though some dialects may -- the dialect
> of the planet Morska uses a /ts/ instead of /tlh/ as the final
> consonant of a word).
>
> If you want to standardize your name, my suggestion is qoloS.  It's
> as close to Kolos as you're going to get in standard Klingon.  On
> the other hand, if you want to keep your name sounding regional,
> possibly low-class, or perhaps one that was considered standard
> during the time of your Kolos character (we do not have this
> information), you can just continue to use Kolos, or maybe qolos --
> but be prepared for people not realizing this and telling you you
> need to capitalize the "s."
>
> SuStel
> Stardate 4003.0

Back to archive top level