tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 01 20:38:45 2004

Re: Kolos

Christian Einfeldt ([email protected])

On Thursday 01 January 2004 14:14, Lieven Litaer wrote:
> qe'San:
> > to fit more with tlhIngan phonetics.. The next question if you
> > followed the
> > same path is what would Kolos be?  possibly    qoloS.
>
> If I remember correctly, {qoloS} is the correct spelling for "Kolos"
> There is also "Koloth" spelled {qolotlh}

I chose the name qoloS because I'm a lawyer and Kolos was the name of a
lawyer who defended Jonathan Archer in the episode entitled
"Judgment".

Another experienced Klingonist suggested that the best spelling would
be qo'loS.  I am too much a beginner to decide if qo'loS or qoloS
would be preferable.  I am very much receptive to suggestions!

> But there is no problem if you prefer the "terran" spelling, many
> people do. I avoided this problem choosing a name that looks both
> terran and Klingon.
>
> If you choose the klingon spelling though, I'd suggest not to write
> a minor "s"!
> Write {qoloS} or "Kolos", not 'qolos' or 'koloS' - these look wrong.

Since I would primarily be using the name qoloS in the presence of
Klingonists, I'm not concerned with coming up with a name which is
understandable to English speakers or to Terrans of any language.
However, I would like to use a spelling which does not look odd to
Klingonists.

At this point, I have conflicting information from experienced
Klingonists as to which would be better: qo'loS or qoloS.  I
appreciate any and all tips to clarify.

qo'loS

Back to archive top level