tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 26 06:13:06 2004

Re: [tlhIngan-Hol] KLBC

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 2:13 AM
Subject: [tlhIngan-Hol] KLBC

I apologize for my tardiness. Work has been taking up much of my time these
last few days.
{jIpaSmo, jItlhIj. qaStaHvIS 'op jaj, tlhoy jIvum.}

> weQqul:
> bIlughqu' 'e' vISov!
> I know you are right.

maj.

> weQqul:
> Hogh Hoch cha'maH mu'mey'e'   neH vIHaD vIneH  ngugh
> (qhIq)  mu'tlheghmey   vIchenmoH vIneH.
> I only wanted to learn 20 words every week, then I
> wanted to make the sentences.

Voragh has been kind enough to field the {ngugh}/{ghIq} portion of your
question during my (forced) absence. Your English translation lacks the
emphasis of the word "words" that the Klingon calls for, and the Klingon
says that you want to learn *only* twenty words. Additionally, {Hogh Hoch}
means "all week".
Flip it, and you'll get your point across:
{Hoch Hogh, cha'maH mu'mey neH vIHaD vIneH, ghIq mu'tlheghmey vIchenmoH
vIneH.}
"Every week, I want to study only twenty words, then make sentences."

> weQqul:
> tetlhvamDaq  jaj Hoch mu'mey chu'
> vIleghmo', Hevam'e'  muqay' .
> Because I see new words every day in this list, this
> way (route)  becomes a problem for me.

The time stamp comes first in this sentence, and your time stamp says "All
day". Switch the position of {jaj} and {Hoch} and then flip-flop {Hoch jaj}
and {tetlhvamDaq}.
I don't think {He} works here, to mean a method. "The Klingon Way" is
rendered as {tlhIngan tIgh} "Klingon customs" by MO, so we're probably going
to have to find a more precise noun, as well.
I suggest {nab}, "plan".
{qay'} is a quality, and therefore probably can't take an object, much less
an indirect object, and so this portion must be recast:
Try {jIHvaD qay' nabvam.} "This plan is a problem for me."
Putting it all together, we have:
{Hoch jaj, tetlhvamDaq mu'mey chu' vIleghmo', jIHvaD qay' nabvam.}

> weQqul:
> mumoghmoHtaHqu'! jIqIm 'e' vImevlaHbe'.
> It is causing me to become confused. I
> can't stop paying attention.

maj

> weQqul:
> muQaHchoHlaHlI'  'e'  qechmey latlh Daghaj'a'?
> Do you have other ideas that can help me?

It's {latlh qechmey} "other ideas".
We have to recast, but only a little:
"Do you have other ideas which can help me?"
I will leave you to translate this one on your own. Post your answer when
you're done, and if you run into trouble, let me know. (I don't think this
will be a problem for you, though.)

As for other ideas, flashcards helped me tremendously when I started, and
still serve as a very good refresher. I would comb the postings for
Klingon-language posts, print them out, and read them, writing down all the
words I didn't know. I would then look them up, and create a flashcard for
that word. Also, {Qo'noS QonoS} is a tremendous help to a beginner,
providing new words all the time. Just print them out, and follow the same
procedure for the flashcards. Reread everything you print out, until you can
get all the way through it.

> weQqul:
> rut tetlhvamDaq vIjangnIS 'ach chay'
> Dochvam vIta'choHlaHlI', mu'tlheghmey mach neH vIlo'chugh.
> Sometimes I reply to this list, but how can I accomplish this, if I only
use small
> sentences?

{jang} has no object in your sentence. It needs to be {jIjang}. {vIjangnIS}
means "I need to answer it". Also, I don't think {Doch} works here. {Doch}
is not as flexible as English "thing". You *could* simply say {vIta'laH} "I
can accomplish it", and you won't be misunderstood. If you want to make the
object explicit, you can nall it a {Qu'} "task, mission"
So you could say:
{rut, tetlhvamDaq jIjang, 'ach chay' Qu'vam vIta'laH, mu'tlheghmey mach neH
vIlo'chugh?}
"Sometimes, I answer on this list, but how can I do that if I only use small
sentences?"

In the passage above, you have two separate sentences, one of which is a
question with a subordinate clause, joined by a conjunction. How complicated
do you want your sentences to be? }}: )

> weQqul:
> tetlhvamDaq  wIjangmeH
> tlhIngan Hol wIlo' 'e'  wInID neH
> They want us to try to use the klingon language in order that we
> reply in this list.

Your Klingon says "We only try to use Klingon to answer it on this list"
Try recasting your English:
"When we answer on this list, we must use Klingon."
and translate:
{tetlhvamDaq majangDI', tlhIngan Hol wIlo'nIS}

(I think the "when" part you were missing is {-DI'}, a type 9 Verb suffix.
It means "when, as soon as".)

And the only time you *must* use Klingon is when you're not discussing the
Klingon language.
{tlhIngan Hol Daqelbe'chugh, tlhIngan Hol yIlo'!}

OK, I'll leave you be now, and thanks for your patience. }}: )

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian,
Klingon Language Institute
http://kli.org/