tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 25 17:11:07 2004

[tlhIngan-Hol] Sechmey, Hutvaghmey, wotmey, DIpvaD tam <net> je

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' voragh:

>To express the idea of "too much gagh" or
>"too many tribbles," the verb {'Iq} "be too many, be too much" is
>used adjectivally. For example:

>yIHmey 'Iq vIlegh
>I see too many tribbles

naDev mu' chu' wIlo'laH 'e' vIHar. qechvam'e' ja' vay' neHchugh jatlhwI',
pov DIp <<Hutvagh>> je:
You might be able to use the noun <Hutvagh> for this one as well:

naDev yIH Hutvagh tu'lu'
"There are too many tribbles here" (of course, Klingons would argue that ANY
tribbles ANYWHERE would be too many; similarly, how could you have too much
<qagh>? :D)

Would the negative of the verb <yap> "be enough" be sufficient (no pun
intended) to express the opposite idea (viz. be too few, be insufficient,
not enough)?

DaH qatlhob:

1) chay' pIm <<Sech>> <<wovmoHbogh jan>> je? pIm'a'?

2) Dochvam QIjmeH, DIvI' Hol vIlo'choH. jIHvaD qay'bogh qech boyaj vIneHqu'.
While I was writing the section above about the use of <Hutvagh>, I came up
against a problem. I was planning to say

qechvam'e' ja'lu' neHlu'chugh
"if someone wants to report this idea"

But I got a bit confused from there. Now, I know that <'e'> is replaced with
<net> when the subject of the verb governing <'e'> is indefinite. Thus:

yoH tlhInganpu' 'e' vISov
"I know that Klingons are brave"

yoH tlhInganpu' net Sov
"It is known that Klingons are brave" (and not *<yoH tlhInganpu' 'e'
Sovlu'>)

However, what happens when the verb in question is <neH>, which doesn't use
<'e'> at all? As I see it, there are two choices:

??qechvam'e' ja'lu' neHlu'chugh OR
??qechvam'e' ja'lu' net neHchugh
"if someone wants to report this idea"

I am swaying towards the version with <net>, but I am quite unsure (due in
part to the unusual behaviour of <neH>). qechmeyraj vIQoychu'.

Savan,

QeS lagh

SEEK: Now with over 50,000 dream jobs! Click here
http://ninemsn.seek.com.au/

Back to archive top level