tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 12 12:32:27 2004

Re: {'oS}

...Paul:

>We do have the word /'oS/ that could be pressed into service if we wanted
>to be REALLY explicit:  /Duj 'oSbogh mu'/ "The word that represents the
>ship" (Oh, hrm, does /'oS/ mean "represent" in terms of legal
>representation?)

Good questions.  We know that Klingons have legal "advocates" as they were
called in an ENTERPRISE episode from last year ("Judgment").

{'oS} "represent" in canon:

   toDuj 'oS rol
   A beard is a symbol of courage. TKW

   qorDu'Daj tuq 'oS Ha'quj'e' tuQbogh wo'rIv
   The sash that Worf wears is a symbol of his family's house. S20

   yay 'oS bey
   This yell is victorious in nature... S31

We also have the derived noun {'oSwI'} "emissary", which will probably do
for delegate, representative, etc.  My notes indicate that some people have
used it for advocate, lawyer, barrister.

How an {'oSwI'} differs from a {Duy} "agent, emissary" is unknown.  Okrand
wrote in HolQeD 12.3 (p.8) that:

   ... a delegate to the Klingon Empire could well be described as a
   {Duy quv} "honored emissary", but if it turned out that he or she
   was a spy, the phrase {Duy HoQ} "falsely honored emissary" would be
   appropriate.

Note that {Duy'a'} is "ambassador".

Perhaps {Duy} is an official (government) emissary , while {'oSwI'} is a
personal one?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons