tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 12 10:38:53 2004

Re: Pun?

qu'qul wrote:

>Klingon word:   mIS
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     be confused, mixed up
>
>To say someone "missed" something frequently implies they're mixed up, and
>I didn't find this on the list of puns.

To me, saying one has "missed something" implies that one is absent minded
or not paying attention, which is not the same thing as being confused or
mixed up.

I've always assumed that the pun comes from Yiddish *mishmash* - a
hodgepodge, jumble, or unrelated assortment. (E.g. "There's a whole
mishmash of words here.")  *Mishmash* is, of course, related to the German
*mischen* "to mix".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons