tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 03 10:04:35 2004

Re: {jev} vs {tlhov}

SIv Tyler:

>I've been looking over the recent new vocabulary and I've noticed that
>{jev} has been defined as "wheeze". I was just wondering how this differs
>from {tlhov}, which also means "wheeze"?

My notes indicate that {tlhov} "wheeze" was only listed in the
Klingon-to-English side of TKD.  It's likely that if Okrand looked up
"wheeze" in TKD and KGT to see if he'd already translated it, he only
checked the English-to-Klingon listings and thus missed it.  (Can it be
that Okrand doesn't have a comprehensive list of his own vocabulary?!)

Here's what he wrote about {jev} "wheeze, breathe noisily" in HolQeD (12.4:8):

   The word for "breath" is {tlhuH}, and that for "breathe" is also
   {tlhuH}. To breathe in, or "inhale", is {pur}; to breathe out, or
   "exhale", is {rech}. To breathe noisily, or "wheeze", is {jev}.
   (This is also the verb "storm", though Maltz couldn't decide
   whether this was meaningful of just a coincidence.) To breathe
   even more noisily, or "snore", is {wuD}.

Once the existence of {tlhov} is pointed out to Okrand/Maltz, we may
subsequently learn that {jev} is indeed an idiomatic or a slang term after
all.  Or maybe there'is a slight difference in usage; e.g. one may be a
medical term, while the other is the one in general usage.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level