tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 09 10:46:15 2004

Re: joj usage...

From: "Steven Boozer" <[email protected]>

> >[I suspect it was originally an error that subsequently got
"officialized",
> >but the result enhances Klingon's flavor as a simulation of a living
> >but the opposed to a strictly logical one.]
>
> Sorry, even logically your analysis fails.  Pronouns, by definition,
> replace nouns; therefore, if you can say:
>
>    'avwI'pu' jojDaq Qam qama'
>    the prisoner stands between the guards
>
> then you can replace the noun {SuvwI'pu'} with the pronoun {chaH}:
>
>    chaH jojDaq Qam qama'
>    the prisoner stands between them
>
> ... except, of course, in the Sakrej region!

Er . . . by that logic you don't need the possessive suffixes at all.  If
it's "my batleth," why not use /jIH betleH/?  Because you don't, that's why.

I think it's as simple as Okrand saying that spatial nouns don't take
possessive suffixes (unless you actually possess a spatial region).  There's
no logic in TKD that can make this distinction for you.

SuStel
Stardate 4273.0

Back to archive top level