tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 09 17:56:08 2004

Re: joj usage...

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Dar'Qang:

>Setting aside the issue about whether or not prefix-implied pronouns can
>serve as {-bogh} clause head
>nouns, the follow fragment from the Warriors' Anthem:
>
>yoHbogh matlhbogh je SuvwI'
>
>Seems to be implicitly using [noun noun {je} noun].

jang SuStel:

>No it's not.  This is otherwise unattested grammar, probably ungrammatical
>to meet the needed meter of the song.

I'll direct Dar'Qang to my Wiki page on Common Grammar Questions And
Problems:

/wiki/index.php?Common%20Grammar%20Questions%20And%20Problems

There's a discussion of ungrammatical relative clauses there under the
heading "Relative Clauses: What Possibilities?" This oddity is discussed,
along with the headless relative phenomenon.

>/yoHbogh/ and /matlhbogh/ are verbs acting as relative clauses.  They are
>not nouns.  They're not even headless relative clauses.  Ways to write this
>grammatically include:

I do understand where Dar'Qang is becoming confused: a noun conjunction is
being used here, which would *seem* to imply that the two things being
conjoined are nouns. Nonetheless, SuStel is right on the money: {-bogh} is
always a marker of a relative clause, not of anything else. The conjunction
is the problem, not the relative clauses.

Savan.

QeS lagh

You could be a genius! Find out by taking the IQ Test 2003. $5.50 (incl
GST).  Click here:  http://sites.ninemsn.com.au/minisite/testaustralia/

Back to archive top level