tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 09 08:44:25 2004

Re: joj usage...

Mark J. Reed ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 10:07:22AM -0500, Steven Boozer wrote:
> Sorry, even logically your analysis fails.  Pronouns, by definition,
> replace nouns; therefore, if you can say:
>
>    'avwI'pu' jojDaq Qam qama'
>    the prisoner stands between the guards
>
> then you can replace the noun {SuvwI'pu'} with the pronoun {chaH}:
>
>    chaH jojDaq Qam qama'
>    the prisoner stands between them
>
> ... except, of course, in the Sakrej region!

Except that syntactically the spatial relationship construct seems to be
a noun-noun construction, with the implied genitive relationship.  Are
you saying that you can always replace the first noun in a noun-noun
construct with a pronoun?  If so, then why do we even need possessive
suffixes?

-marqoS

Back to archive top level