tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 02 00:14:23 2004

Re: 'e' / about

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Dar'Qang:

><tlhIngan Hol'e' SoQ vImuch>
>I don't understand the (grammatical) part of the sentence played by
>{tlhIngan Hol'e'}.
>I see:
>Subject -> "jIH" Object  -> SoQ
>verb     -> much
>And no way to include {tlhIngan Hol'e'} into the sentence once a noun-noun
>construction becomes illegal.

jIHaghnIS... jIHvaD qay'qu'bejpu' je. :D

I had this exact problem when SuStel first alerted me to the possibility
about two years ago. As you probably know already, {-'e'} is generally used
on nouns in situ. For instance, it can be used on either noun of a relative
clause:

{puq'e' qIppu'bogh yaS} "the child whom the officer hit"
{puq qIppu'bogh yaS'e'} "the officer who hit the child"

Now, you realise that {-'e'} is a Type 5 suffix, and therefore can't appear
on the first noun of a noun-noun construct. That's clear from your response.

However, the fact that {-'e'} IS Type 5 is the very fact that makes my
sentence legal. Since {-'e'} is Type 5, nouns carrying it can also appear in
the standard Type 5 noun slot, before the direct object noun. So {tlhIngan
Hol'e' SoQ} is not a noun-noun construction (because it would be illegal),
but two separate noun phrases: {tlhIngan Hol'e'} "Klingon language-TOPIC" +
{SoQ} "speech, lecture, address".

DaH DayajlaH'a'?

Savan.

QeS lagh

SEEK: Now with over 50,000 dream jobs! Click here:
http://ninemsn.seek.com.au?hotmail

Back to archive top level